From: "Arianna Sepulveda" <englishrider91@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2016 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Laptop acting weird?

Chris, thanks for this very useful message. One question for you. I
used to have NVDA read the little info thing that popped up after
selecting any file or folder that would tell you things like size,
date modified, date created, etc. It used to do this without having to
do anything special. I'd just down arrow to something, and bam! I have
the thing for tooltips and descriptions to pop up in the view settings
of File Explorer, as well as NVDA's report tooltips setting turned on,
and I'm still not getting the behavior anymore, which I find annoying.
I'd like that info to be automatically spoken again, just like it used
to be. Do you have any ideas as to why this changed, and how I can get
it back?

Thanks,
Ari

On 8/6/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
File Explorer is the W10 equivalent of Windows Explorer and similarly
requires configuring to how you prefer to see information displayed.

As in Windows Explorer, you can view information on your computer in the
same way for all folders of the same type. To do this, do the following:

1. Press Windows+r, type C: in the edit box and press enter.
2. Press alt+v, then press l.
3.arrow to your preferred format for folder/file display and press enter
(Details is probably the best for a blind user).

4. Press alt+f, then press o. You are now in a multi-tab dialog on the
General tab. These settings are personal choice but I'll tell you what I
use and why then you can set them to suit yourself. Use the tab key to move
through the controls, arrow keys to select your choices.

The first control sets where File Explorer will open when not started for a
specific location. The choices are QuickStart and ThisPC. I set mine to
ThisPC as I tend not to use quickstart as I usually set up shortcut keys for
things I use regularly so do not need the clutter of quick start items.

The next control is a pair of radio buttons which specify if each folder you
open is in the same or a new window. I set this to be the same window as
you end up with open windows all over the place if you elect to open each in
a separate window and it can get very confusing.

The next control is another pair of radio buttons. Set this to Double click
to open, single click to select. I know this is mouse related but in
keyboard terms, it equates to enter to open, focus acquisition to select
(either by arrow key or spacebar).

The next 2 controls related to quick start information, which as I don't
use, I leave unchecked.

Now tab down to the Apply button and press enter, then press tab again to
loop back to the top of the dialog box.

Press Control+tab to move to the next tab in the dialog box, the View tab.

The first control here is a button, which if you press enter on it, will
apply the display format you chose in step 3 above to all folders of this
type on your computer. You should press enter to do this.

Now tab down to the Advanced settings. This is a treeview containing the
settings applied to the display of information in File Explorer. It is
quite extensive so I will just list the parameters I have checked or set to
an On state. Note some parameters may be set to On by default but I may
have switched them off.

Always show menus
Display the full path in the title bar
Show hidden files and folders
Hide folder merge conflicts
Hide protected operating system files
Show Drive Letters
Show Status bar
Use sharing wizard
Select the typed item in the view
Expand to open folder
Show all folders

Now tab to OK and press enter. Close the File Explorer window and try
opening your Download folder again and see if you can read it now.

Cheers
Chris