Re: NVDA Crashing while reading Word document

Quentin Christensen

NVDA keeps its log in the %temp% folder (you can usually get to that either by pressing WINDOWS+R, typing %temp% and pressing ENTER, or from Windows Explorer (WINDOWS+E) press F2 to get to the address bar, type %temp% and press ENTER).

The log for the currently running NVDA (or most recently run copy if NVDA isn't currently running) is nvda.log.  The log from the time before that is nvda-old.log.  So, if NVDA has crashed and you've restarted it, the log from that previous time when it crashed should be nvda-old.log.  Additionally, if NVDA has crashed, there should be a file called nvda_crash.dmp which has a lot of extra information we can use to work out exactly what happened.  If you send us all of those files we can have a look.  If you have a copy of the offending word document you are able to send us, that could be helpful too.

As usual, if you can recreate the issue with NVDA's log level set to "debug" and add-ons disabled, that really helps too.

Quentin.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:
        Hi, Quentin and team,
I am currently reading a straightforward Word document which involves some technical information and so I need to arrow back and forth to verify information. NVDA crashed a few times for no apparent reason. Then I found that when I used the "numpad 2" key to identify a character in the text, NVDA crashed. I had to restart NVDA each time. The document was not disturbed nor did I lose my position only NVDA seemed to suffer. When I restarted NVDA there was no longer an active log for the previous fault.

Question: Is there any way to trap the log after a crash?

All the best,

Cearbhall