locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber

This discussion of groupings is a great tip for how to navigate dialogs and what to pay attention to, but it does not seem that it is on topic for this thread.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:59 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
In a related matter which is of increasing importance when looking through program settings, groupings are used which you hear announced.  Don't skip things or move to quickly in unfamiliar settings areas.  You may miss important information by attenuating it.  I said that this setting is in the browse mode grouping, and so it is.  In Firefox these days, in options, when you tab around, you will find grouping after grouping.  and that is what you will find in ribbons.  I don't know what it looks like visually, but when you tab around in Firefox options in the current and recent versions, you will hear grouping after grouping.  So I suspect this looks something like ribbons.  There are a very large number of items to tab through in the options dialog, just as ribbons have a lot more items to tab through than menus.  All these things are related.  Program design is changing.  I'm not dictating to anyone what to do.  I am saying that these things are related and those who want to understand how to use interfaces efficiently as they change would do well to be aware of what I am discussing.  You won't escape these changes by avoiding ribbons because other programs are adopting interfaces that derive from  ribbons, though they aren't ribbons.  Paying attention to groupings as you move will help you find things more efficiently and understand if they apply to what you are doing.
Further discussion should probably be in the chat list unless a question about the NVDA interface is involved.

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.

Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:
Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there?

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?