Re: New Computer- problems with NVDA response

Anna Givens

I just bought the subscription for McAfee, so not wanting to take it off. Why would I need to?
Also, as far as I know Narrator is not running, only NVDA. There’s only one voice that speaks anyway
I don’t know what an add-on is so unless they install when you install NVDA, I don’t have any.
I don’t use my computer with the screen off as I have some vision and watch shows or sometimes look at something like a picture, etc.
So I appreciate your recommendations. But it seems like those things may not work for me.

Thanks for your help.
Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:30 PM, Jackie <abletec@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, Anna. I actually just finished working w/1 of those machines,
except the client had the 13in display as opposed to the 15in 1, & it
works splendidly. She absolutely loves it!

I did, however, make a few changes.

First, please ensure that Narrator & NVDA are not running
concurrently, especially if they're both set to use the same voice,
but it really is better to disable Narrator.

2nd, these machines all come w/Mcafee installed. My recommendation is
that you get rid of it ASAP--& install Windows Defender in its place.
You can get a removal tool from:
http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp
It says to remove it via control panel first, but the uninstaller is
totally inaccessible, & it works to just use it w/o going thru the
hassle of trying to get sighted help.

3rd, the only Lenovo program I left to start up at boot time was the
utility program, & I'm not even sure it's worth that. I didn't
uninstall these programs, but rather set their services to run
manually as opposed to automatically. That way, I can check for
updates if required.

Of course--& this is standard procedure for me every time I set up a
computer for a blind client--I go into Ease of Access Center & click
the link that says "use the computer without a display". This tends to
turn off all unnecessary annimations, etc, but you may wish to check
that they were all turned off by going into the system applet of
control panel & then clicking 'advanced settings' & then
'performance'.

Lastly, be certain you're not using any NVDA addons at this point, &,
if you are, then please disable them & see if that works if these
other measures don't. If that proves to be a problem, then you can try
readding them 1 by 1 until the culprit causes the machine to bog down
again.

HTH. Good luck.

On 3/8/20, Anna Givens <annajee82@gmail.com> wrote:
I posted this in the NVDA chat list, and was advised to post it here in the
main list:

I just got a new computer. Ando had issues with the initial setup, like when
the computer first turned on the very first time and it was asking me to get
things set up, and it had voice already- I guess it was narrator, it would
stop responding and had to keep restarting multiple times. And then when
setup process was finished I have had the following issue. Not sure if I
should contact someone, and if so who. Or is there something that is just
related to NVDA or what.
Help and ideas are greatly appreciated. I got this computer through Walmart,
by the way.

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help
me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot
of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for
example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever
and after 7-8seconds it speaks next line or item...
also, when this happens I have only one application running, or it’s on
desktop and have nothing open.
Ideas??

Here’s the computer-

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core
Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS
Meet the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S. Thinner and lighter with narrow bezels for
broader viewing, it boasts state-of-the-art processing and accelerated
graphics performance. Featuring an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core processor,
Integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard +
4GB DIMM) memory, and 256GB PCIe SSD internal storage, this powerful
laptop has all the essentials you need to tackle your day. Its 15.6-inch
HD IPS LED backlit anti-glare display and Dolby Audio Premium speakers
ensure gorgeously sharp images and crystal-clear sound whether you're out
at the office or relaxing at home. Plus, with a battery life of up to
seven hours, you can take on a whole to-do list before you even need to
think about finding the nearest outlet to plug into. Power through any
task with ease on the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S.

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core
Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS:

Operating system: Windows 10
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor
Display: 15.6" HD IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM)
Internal storage: 256GB PCIe SSD Storage
Graphics: Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
Optical Drive: None
Battery Life: Up to 7 Hours
Audio: 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
Wireless: 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo
Webcam: Front-Facing HD Webcam with integrated dual array microphone
Product weight: 3.96 lbs
Color: Platinum Grey
Warnings
Specifications