Re: New Computer- problems with NVDA response

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Some times when stuff like that happens your sound enhancements might be turned on and in most cases turning it off fixes these problems.

I copied and pasted this from my website check to see if it is on then turn it off. this was done on a windows 10 machine 1909 but should be similar in earlier versions?

Disabling sound enhancements in Windows
Sometimes when there is an update for Windows, you may hear a buzzing sound (and other strange noises) from the computer while using NVDA.

If this is the case, you will need to turn off sound enhancements in Windows for your sound card. The steps to turn it off may be similar for other Windows 10 computers.

Press the Windows key, and in the search box type sound settings. When it comes up with this result, press the Enter key. The first option might say Choose your output device Speakers (High Definition Audio Device). Next, tab once to device properties, then press the Enter key. The next screen that comes up will say home. If you tab about 7 times you will then hear NVDA say Additional device properties. Press the enter key.

The next screen should come up with speaker properties. Shift tab back once or twice - until you hear NVDA say General. There are 5 tabs there. Use your right arrow key to get to the enhancements tab, then tab a couple of times until you hear NVDA say Disable all enhancements. This should be a check box. Please note, in some cases, after you tab once (after the enhancements tab) you might need to arrow down or tab to locate the disable all enhancements checkbox. You will hear other stuff for the sound card being spoken out, but they can be left unchecked. You will need to tab to hear the "disable enhancements" checkbox if you arrowed down the list of enhancements and check the checkbox with the Spacebar. You will then need to apply and ok your changes with the Spacebar.

Now, those weird buzzing sounds etcetera should be gone!

Gene nz

On 9/03/2020 8:51 am, Anna Givens wrote:
I posted this in the NVDA chat list, and was advised to post it here in the main list:

I just got a new computer. Ando had issues with the initial setup, like when the computer first turned on the very first time and it was asking me to get things set up, and it had voice already- I guess it was narrator, it would stop responding and had to keep restarting multiple times. And then when setup process was finished I have had the following issue. Not sure if I should contact someone, and if so who. Or is there something that is just related to NVDA or what.
Help and ideas are greatly appreciated. I got this computer through Walmart, by the way.

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever and after 7-8seconds it speaks next line or item...
also, when this happens I have only one application running, or it’s on desktop and have nothing open.
Ideas??

Here’s the computer-

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS

Meet the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S. Thinner and lighter with narrow bezels for broader viewing, it boasts state-of-the-art processing and accelerated graphics performance. Featuring an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core processor, Integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM) memory, and 256GB PCIe SSD internal storage, this powerful laptop has all the essentials you need to tackle your day. Its 15.6-inch HD IPS LED backlit anti-glare display and Dolby Audio Premium speakers ensure gorgeously sharp images and crystal-clear sound whether you're out at the office or relaxing at home. Plus, with a battery life of up to seven hours, you can take on a whole to-do list before you even need to think about finding the nearest outlet to plug into. Power through any task with ease on the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S.

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS:

  • Operating system: Windows 10
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor
  • Display: 15.6" HD IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display
  • Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM)
  • Internal storage: 256GB PCIe SSD Storage
  • Graphics: Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • Optical Drive: None
  • Battery Life: Up to 7 Hours
  • Audio: 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
  • Wireless: 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo
  • Webcam: Front-Facing HD Webcam with integrated dual array microphone
  • Product weight: 3.96 lbs
  • Color: Platinum Grey
Warnings
Arrow