Re: Serious issue with NVDA not reading menus and totally silent in Firefox and Chrome

Ron Canazzi

Hi Mallard,

For both Firefox and Chrome, there is a checkbox under settings that says: "prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser." This should be unchecked. I thought it would be unchecked by default, but apparently, your friend's system had this item checked by default.  This would in effect render Firefox and Chrome inaccessible and useless to screen readers.

The easiest way to undo this damage is to have sighted help.  It's a simple matter of clicking tools, options, and unchecking this checkbox.

Lacking that, I believe there is something you can type at the command prompt from the edit box for search/addresses. You would have to do this all in the blind, so it wouldn't be easy.  I will look for the proper things to  type in the blind, but as of now, I seem to have misplaced the information.
Maybe someone else on list will have that information.

On 3/18/2020 6:53 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

A friend of mine recently bought a HP laptop.

She experiences some really weird behaviours with NVDA.

When the Start key is pressed, no menu is read.

But that can be bypassed by using the Start button on the bar.

The main issue is that both Firefox and Chrome aer unreadable, and I-ve never seen anything like that in my life.

I tried to help her via Teamviewer, as she lives in a different town, and I was shocked.

How is it possible that NVDA doesn-t read browsers like that_

I-m not a techie at all, so have no idea of what to do and how to help her.

she-s a teacher and, with the Covid/19 lockdown active here in Italy, she needs to teach online. Not easy under these conditions.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Ollie

--