Re: Serious issue with NVDA not reading menus and totally silent in Firefox and Chrome

Ron Canazzi

Gene, She bought a second hand laptop.

On 3/18/2020 12:20 PM, Gene wrote:
I don’t know about Chrome, it may be something new since I never saw it when I looked at settings up to about a month ago.  But for Firefox, if this setting were on, you wouldn’t see anything with a screen-reader except the title bar.  Even pressing alt to open the menus would show nothing.  And the setting is off, as it should be, by default. This is definitely not the probllem in Firefox.  And I'm extremely doubtful that it is the problem in Chrome, as I would expect the setting to allow accessibility devices to work with Chrome by default.

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Serious issue with NVDA not reading menus and totally silent in Firefox and Chrome

Hi Mallard,

For both Firefox and Chrome, there is a checkbox under settings that
says: "prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser." This
should be unchecked. I thought it would be unchecked by default, but
apparently, your friend's system had this item checked by default.  This
would in effect render Firefox and Chrome inaccessible and useless to
screen readers.

The easiest way to undo this damage is to have sighted help.  It's a
simple matter of clicking tools, options, and unchecking this checkbox.

Lacking that, I believe there is something you can type at the command
prompt from the edit box for search/addresses. You would have to do this
all in the blind, so it wouldn't be easy.  I will look for the proper
things to  type in the blind, but as of now, I seem to have misplaced
the information.
Maybe someone else on list will have that information.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"