Re: Problem with NVDA and UAC dialogs after Anniversary Update

Christo de Klerk

Alt+y just let it keeps looping. Restarting doesn't help, because it loads NVDA on Startup and then it happens immediately.

Regards

Christo

On 2016/08/09 9:33 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Even pressing Alt+Y doesn't help, and how about restarting your computer?
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 12:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem with NVDA and UAC dialogs after Anniversary Update

Hi Joseph

I can't, because I can't do anything on that computer; the UAC dialog is there all the time, I can't get it out of the way. I can run Narrator, but I still can't get around the UAC dialog. It must be a modal window that one cannot get rid of.

Regards

Christo

On 2016/08/09 9:03 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Hmmm... Let's try this: download latest snapshot again, then run Narrator and try installing NVDA while Narrator is running.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Christo de Klerk
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 11:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Problem with NVDA and UAC dialogs after Anniversary
Update

Hello Joseph

Ok, I brought the conversation to this list and I have copied our correspondence below for your reference.

In response to your question, yes, it is an installed copy of the latest snapshot of NVDA. My problem is that, when I start up the laptop, it automatically tries to run NVDA and then goes into this loop; it doesn't matter if I respond with Yes or No. This means I can't get to do anything on the machine. I thought that, if I could at least get into the File Explorer, I could delete the NVDA executable, so that it can't try to open. My goodness, this is such a mess; I hope you have some advice for me.

Kind regards

Christo

Correspondence below:

Hi,
This is odd indeed...
Is this with an installed copy of NVDA? If so, this should not cause issues you've described. Sounds like NVDA is trying to run the installer without realizing that it's already installed (that's one possibility).
If you don't mind, let's talk about this on the NVDA mailing list.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 12:17 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] After Anniversary Update NVDA no longer reads UAC
pop-up dialogs

Joseph

On my laptop I now moved the level up to 2 (67%), but I got myself into a strange and very serious situation. When NVDA starts, the UAC dialog pops up and it is spoken, but I can't get out of it. Whether I press Yes or No, the dialog keeps coming back. It goes into a loop and I can't do anything else on my computer. I can't even close NVDA to get Narrator up to change the UAC level. The dialog keeps coming back all the time. The computer is absolutely unusable. Do you have any idea how I can get out of the loop and get to the place where I can bring down the UAC level again. I really have no idea what to do. Please help. I hope you can.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/08/08 8:53 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
As for why UAC keeps asking for permission whenever NVDA runs, I don't know.
As for UAC not reading properly if level is set to 1: this is a known problem. NV Access is aware of this issue as we speak.
Cheers,
Joseph

Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 11:47 AM
pop-up dialogs

Hi Joseph

Thank you for the response. It makes sense then. I will change the level and try again. On my desktop the level is 1 (33%). On my laptop the level is 0 (0%). I had it on 33%, but for some reason then, every time NVDA started, the UAC dialog popped up requesting permission, so I dragged it down to 0% and that issue went away. Do you have any idea why this was happening?

Thank you so much for always being ready to assist.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/08/08 8:35 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
For those experiencing this problem: what is your UAC level set to? To find out, go to Control Panel/User Accounts/change User Account Control Settings and you should see a slider. In order for UAC fix to work correctly, UAC level must be set to level 2 (67%) or higher.
Cheers,
Joseph

Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 6:40 AM
pop-up dialogs

Hi Joseph

I am glad this matter is receiving attention, but I have to say that I am using the latest snapshot and it is definitely not reading the content of the UAC dialogs. I am using Version: next-13485,10f249e8.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/08/08 10:12 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Ah yes, it was a pleasure to investigate this issue a few weeks ago. Fix included as part of 2016.3 (latest master and next snapshots contains the fix).
Cheers,
Joseph

Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 1:02 AM
Subject: [win10] After Anniversary Update NVDA no longer reads UAC
pop-up dialogs

Hello all

I have noticed on both my computers that after the Anniversary Update NVDA no longer speak the User Access Control dialogs which pop up to ask your permission to do certain things. I know one can simply type Alt+y for yes or Alt+n for no, but one never knows what else might be shown in such a pop-up. Dos anyone know of a fix for this?

Kind regards

Christo

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.