From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of zahra
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 3:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Statement from Joseph Lee regarding NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support requests: no more, period

hi joseph.
as i mentioned in my emails, i only need two or three fixed in newer versions of nvda for backporting to the supported versions of nvda on xp.
and i promise that my request does not cause nvda crashing or unresponsiveness in any version of windows!
my requests are only specific for firefox and contains important fixes which i am sure benefits everyone.

On 3/23/20, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hello NVDA users and add-on developers,

First, I would like to reiterate how important it is that everyone
listen to advice from reputable sources regarding COVID-19, including
public health officials recommending folks to exercise social
distancing for a while.
Even
if you do not feel sick, please help others by washing hands, practice
social distancing, and monitor the situation regarding the pandemic
and community spread. And since the NVDA community is a global
movement, please support each other.

Onto the matter at hand: for several days I have received requests
about NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support. Requests have included
making add-ons compatible with Windows XP again, compatibility issues,
and backporting newer NVDA bug fixes and features to users of NVDA
2017.3, the last version compatible with Windows XP.

At the moment there is no community guidance on support for Windows
XP, with many people asking others to upgrade to newer Windows
releases. But as an individual add-on author and a contributor to NVDA
screen reader project, I would like to take this time to make the
following personal announcement:

Effective April 15, 2020, if you ask me to do one or more of the
following for Windows XP users, the answer you will get is, "sorry, no more, period."
These include:

* Making add-ons compatible with Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, and
Server 2008
* Fixing compatibility issues and non-working add-ons after you
knowingly install newer add-on releases on NVDA 2017.3 or earlier
* Backporting features and bug fixes from newer NVDA releases to NVDA
2017.3
* Maintaining a long-term support version of NVDA for Windows
XP/Server 2003/Vista/Server 2008 users

Most importantly, I will flatly say "no" if you ask me privately to
ask NV Access and/or add-on developers about Windows XP support. Many
features introduced in newer NVDA releases cannot be backported for
various reasons, including risk of crashing NVDA (grammar error
announcement, for example), incompatibility with Python 2 (broader
Unicode support, for example), features that will not work properly
with XP (screen curtain, for example), support for apps no longer
recommended for wider use (outlook Express, for example), and broad
changes that alters how add-ons work (speech refactor and
multi-category settings dialog, for example). Several add-on authors
have indicated reluctance to support XP, and in case of add-ons I'm
either maintaining or have passed onto the community, none of them
support NVDA
2019.2.1 or earlier, let alone Windows XP and friends.

My personal statement above will not be in effect until April so that
you can help others going through COVID-19 and for my statement as an
individual developer to sink in. Note that I'm not speaking on behalf
of other developers - others have their own policies regarding support
for Windows XP. NV Access does provide a download link for NVDA
2017.3, the last version compatible with Windows XP.

I know my statement is a huge blow to many of you. As much as I wanted
folks to understand that end of support means end of support, and I
understand that many of you cannot afford newer equipment and software
releases (including moving to newer Windows releases), I felt it is
time to make a bold statement and say "no" to Windows XP support. In
the past, I did note on various NVDA forums that my add-ons will not
and does not support Windows XP, but didn't announce a statement like
this then, hoping that folks will understand the reality at last. But
alas, it is time to officially close the doors to Windows XP support
from my end - once again, this is an individual developer saying this,
not on behalf of the community at large, knowing that others will make
statements on their own.

Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

Joseph