Re: Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

Angel

Don’t most schools use Chrome Book.  Which has its own screen reader?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Sky Mundell
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 2:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

Hello guys . I do agree with everybody about what they're saying. However, I

am going to point something out to you, and that is, as a 6 year adaptive

tech trainer who has trained blind students in screen readers, I have to say

that there are folks out there that won't give up there screen reader too

easily. As an example, I do have friends out there that know that NVDA

exists, and so on and so forth, but a lot of them think that if something is

cheaper, it is inferior. I'll give you an example. I do have a friend in

California who has heard of NVDA, and her blind friends know that NVDA

exists, and they have tried it but they end up going back to JAWS because

its what they know. Also Many of the institutions that I've come across have

never heard of NVDA, or if they have heard of it, they assume that it is

incomplete or inferior because they have seem more than one person use JAWS

and iPhones so they think, all blind folks use, are JAWS screen reader, and

iPhones. Which, as you and I know, is not true. As, while JAWS and iPhone's

are certainly used, not everybody uses, or cannot afford, either JAWS, or

iPhone. Another example is that I have a relative that works at a

university, and they use JAWS and I bet if they have heard of NVDA they

would be reluctant to try it because they would, once again, assume it is

incomplete, and inferior. Sadly,  there is no support for NVDA in the school

districts that I am aware of where I am. I am certainly in favor of client

choice and I am in favor of cheaper stuff but at the moment its going to be

real tough to get organisations to realize that NVDA even exists let alone

trying it out.