Re: Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

Jesse Farquharson

On 3/23/2020 2:49 PM, Austin Pinto wrote:
also many people have told me that nvda is not as secure as jaws which
i think is totally wrong.
I have heard this, so many times, and it takes me everything I have not to literally laugh in the faces of those I hear that from.
JAWS is a closed source program, just like, for instance, Microsoft Word or Outlook. That means that you can't crack them open and see what they're doing, and as such, for all you know you could be installing key loggers on your computer. And yet, schools all over the world use both programs.

JAWS could be a simple screenreader, but as I said, it's closed source. So the security risks are unknown.

NVDA, being an opensource program, means that you can have someone who is qualified come in to externally audit the software and say, "yes, this program is absolutely safe," if you are inclined to do so.

There are only real risks when you install addons from unknown sources, as all of those which are on the community addons page have been verified as safe by the rest of the community.

So really, which is the bigger risk here?

On 3/23/20, Sky Mundell <skyt@...> wrote:
Correct! I totally get your point and I agree with you 100%.