locked Re: Statement from Joseph Lee regarding NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support requests: no more, period

Hi,

All my add-ons (at least ones I’m maintaining) will support Windows 7 as long as NVDA supports it. Two exceptions: Enhanced Touch Gestures as it does not support anything earlier than Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 App Essentials which is tied to support lifecycle for consumers from Microsoft for each feature update; these two add-ons include routines to reject installation on Windows 7 systems.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 3:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Statement from Joseph Lee regarding NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support requests: no more, period

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 04:28 PM, Gene wrote:

Whether and for how long it is supported, I suspect that Windows 7 is enough like Windows 10 that add-ons and NVDA will continue to work, at least for quite a while.

I agree.  But the time will come, probably later rather than sooner, when a necessary change to NVDA or a given add-on breaks backward compatibility with Windows 7 as a direct effect.   And depending on when that happens to occur it could be very difficult to try to justify jumping through any hoops for maintaining backward compatibility.  This pattern has occurred over and over again over the decades.

To quote the song lyric, "History keeps repeating itself."

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.