Re: Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Quentin,

RE: Control usage assistant addon

Is the type of addon they are looking for, like the control usage assistant? In short what it does, is if you press the NVDA key and the letter H it will tell you what the focused element does. For example, if focused on a button, and you press Insert + H then you might hear "press the Enter key or spacebar". If focused on an element it will tell you what to do, and then you can press the Esc key. It works with NVDA 2019.3.1 but I have not tried it on 2020.1 beta yet as I have only just downloaded it.

When you are focused on an element, as you press Insert + H it will say "control usage assistant" every time and then give the relevant details for that focused object.

I think that if he suppresses NVDA from saying "control usage assistant" every time it wouldn't get annoying after a few times.

A general comment that I have is that the name is not necessarily readily identifiable as to what it does. It hints at usage and hints at assistant but I was not sure why the word control was used initially? When looking on the next page to see what it does, it explains it as an assistant for the focused control that you are on. Perhaps it could be called "focused control assistant". Also, should a brief one liner on the main addon page be added underneath each addon so that people have a better idea of what each addon is for before clicking on each one to find out what it does.

RE: Tip of the day addon

Another addon is tip of the day. It will give you little tips on how to use NVDA, but it has not been updated to work with NVDA 2019.3.1 and beyond.

I used to install it on computers where the person was a new user when nvda was installed onto there computer.

I think Deric was the guy who made it. I can not remember what the last version of nvda it worked on maybe 2019.2.1??? or earlier?

That add on would be worth updating to work with a very new user to nvda.

Gene NZ

On 24/03/2020 1:22 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I'm happy to explore the idea of hints or more help for new users if those with ideas on that want to contact me.

The open source being insecure argument is being disproved even more with every passing week.  Did you know 20% of code created for US government organisations now has to be open source?  Or that if you use a Windows computer, it includes open source code?  I've recently updated our Corporate and Government page to include more info on that: https://www.nvaccess.org/corporate-government/#OpenSource

Re the idea that NVDA is inferior because of the price, perhaps expressing it differently would help?  EG it is not that NVDA costs less to make than other programs, or is made with less care and attention.  Rather, that in creating a product which actually meets the needs of its audience, we have looked at not only the technical requirements of the software itself, but also the fact that the majority of blind people around the world have less access to education, employment and income, therefore, what good is a solution which meets the technical need but is inaccessible due to the prohibitive financial burden unnecessarily placed on end users?  NV Access have pursued a funding model which means we get the majority of our income from corporations like Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, etc, rather than the end user.  Therefore, NVDA is the most ethical screen reader available.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:17 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 04:57 PM, Devin Prater wrote:
but they understand the iPhone quickly, and JAWS too
I disagree with this statement, particularly with regard to JAWS.  I've been tutoring for years for JAWS, and I have yet to have a client understand it quickly, and that's even for folks who were very sophisticated Windows users prior to losing their site.

I had one client (and, yes, I know that one is not a valid sample) who could use the iPhone very proficiently, including VoiceOver, but who could never master the rotor (and not secondary to any motor issues).

After decades in IT one of the claims, about anything technology-related, that instantly makes me cringe is, "It's intuitive."   There is no such thing as a very highly featured system that is intuitive in any meaningful sense of that word.   Some are easier than others to get the hang of the basics, but all require intensive practice to master even the subset of non-basic commands a given user might use.   Microsoft Word is the perfect example of that.  It's dirt simple to create a dirt simple document, but when you start going beyond that, things get complicated and you can end up "in the weeds" with unbelievable speed if you try to guess what you need to do.

       ~ Madonna

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager