Re: Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

Hi,

Ah, talking about another brainchild of mine?

This add-on was named “Control Usage Assistant” as it is meant to emulate context-sensitive help functionality found in JAWS. The name is a bit vague, and that was intentional: at one point, I thought about expanding it to cover navigator objects, but decided against it due to complexity involved.

In recent months, Control Usage Assistant added ability to tell you help information for more specialized controls, such as search box in Start menu, table navigation and what not, along with adding a browse mode window to go with it. Perhaps I might as well make it more useful by providing touch-friendly and/or braille user centric messages.

By the way, Control Usage Assistant is part of a growing number of add-ons where a prospective NVDA feature shows up as an add-on first before going to NVDA:

I maintain a private (and publicly visible) branch on my NVDA source code repo where I work on NVDA Core version of Control Usage Assistant i.e. built-in context-sensitive help functionality. Other add-ons that have gone through this route include significant parts of Windows 10 App Essentials, right mouse click gesture and touch typing toggle from Enhanced Touch Gestures, the entirety of Focus Highlight and Screen Curtain (maybe majority of Focus Highlight, I believe), among others (the opposite (i.e. something that was part of NVDA but now an add-on) did occur as well).

For those wishing to learn NVDA add-on development (after learning Python, of course): source code for my add-ons may look similar to NVDA’s own source code because I adhere to coding style guidelines from NV Access. I also include comments throughout the code so folks (including I) can understand what’s up. To keep things on topic, you can take a look at Control Usage Assistant add-on source code at:

https://github.com/josephsl/controlusageassistant

P.S. If you want to know how complex an add-on source code can become, take a look at source code for add-ons such as NVDA Remote, Developer Toolkit, StationPlaylist, and Add-on Updater (Add-on Updater is mine).

Cheers,

Joseph