Re: Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 09:17 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:
The adage seems to be if what we've got works, why fix or in this case, try to change it.
But, given your background, you also know that money has been getting tighter and tighter and tighter.  There is a very strong case to be made for NVDA on that front, since no one can claim it's not a mature and full-service product (slight differences from JAWS don't make it "not full-service," just somewhat different).

There is also a clear case to be made that supplying software without training, particularly for something as complicated as a screen reader, is a recipe for disaster.  Clients will abandon that which they cannot use even vaguely effectively, and those of us "in this biz" have seen this more times than we care to count.

It's also critical to direct clients to resources such as this very group as part of their training.  There is no way that any trainer/tutor can ever possibly cover what any given individual will ultimately need to do with their screen reader.  Our job is to launch the client with a solid foundation upon which they can build independently, but independently does not mean "alone and without any outside guidance."  Knowing where to turn for assistance when you hit the inevitable, "How in the heck do I do this?!!," class of question is crucial.

       ~ Madonna