Re: Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

Tony Ballou

Hey,

Absolutely, couldn't agree with you more about that my friend. When you really think about it, it's difficult to purchase a piece of software that would cost you more than it would be to buy a full workstation, and you have to decide one way or the other which is where I was when I chose to make the full time move to NVDA.  And of course some software that works well with one screen reader may not function as well with another, and you may have to play a bit of a patience and balancing act between things.

I'm currently testing a program called copy trans with a friend of mine who is a jaws user.  One of the many things you can do with this program is sync music from your PC to an I Phone without using iTunes which is only one of the functions of this software. And so far, we've found that the program works with NVDA, but things aren't so good with using jaws with it.  As soon as things become settled here in the states, we are going to try to find a solution to using the program for jaws users. In a perfect world, what works with one should work with all, but as we all know, the world ain't perfect.

Tony

On 3/24/2020 9:45 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 09:17 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:
The adage seems to be if what we've got works, why fix or in this case, try to change it.
But, given your background, you also know that money has been getting tighter and tighter and tighter.  There is a very strong case to be made for NVDA on that front, since no one can claim it's not a mature and full-service product (slight differences from JAWS don't make it "not full-service," just somewhat different).

There is also a clear case to be made that supplying software without training, particularly for something as complicated as a screen reader, is a recipe for disaster.  Clients will abandon that which they cannot use even vaguely effectively, and those of us "in this biz" have seen this more times than we care to count.

It's also critical to direct clients to resources such as this very group as part of their training.  There is no way that any trainer/tutor can ever possibly cover what any given individual will ultimately need to do with their screen reader.  Our job is to launch the client with a solid foundation upon which they can build independently, but independently does not mean "alone and without any outside guidance."  Knowing where to turn for assistance when you hit the inevitable, "How in the heck do I do this?!!," class of question is crucial.

       ~ Madonna