When nvda keeps turning itself on any time another program opens or shuts

Hugin

This started back in January when I had to install nvda on 2 new computers. I use it but my husband is only legally blind so can see enough not to use a screen reader. Anytime he's using the computer for something he turns nvda off and if another program opens or closes, completely unrelated it will start up and we need to shut it down again. Like today when windows is wanting crap and he has to fuss with it's maddening.LOL. So as it seems to be a new thing, at least for me, is there a setting called don't start up until I start you up? LOL