Re: trouble after installing a new SAPI5 voice

Gene

This is an excellent and important example of what I've been saying
and gotten almost no response of any kind about. Save settings on
exit should not be a default behavior. Those learning NvDA and those
who try new things who don't know if they definitely want to keep
whatever they have done should be taught to use the NVDA control c
command when they want to save what they have done. Students who
experiment and try things and in a case like the one in the below
message, should not have the risk of unwanted changes saved by
default. An lot of trouble would have been avoided in this case if
that were not the setting being used.

Again, this is not a trivial or minor issue and I believe it deserves
real consideration. Not everything should be automated and made as
easy as possible.

Gene

On 3/30/20, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:
Hi all,

This morning I installed the 30-day demo of a SAPI5 synth voice, a Welsh
male called Geraint. i'd heard it before on a pair of Orcam glasses I used
to own and, since I've been living in Waels quite a long time, I love it! I
checked with their customer services that NVDA would find the voice after it
was installed, which they confirmed it would, and it did ... but when I
downloaded and installed the voice I hit a problem ... nothing is getting
spoken!

This is the product page
https://harposoftware.com/en/welsh/146-geraint-cy-welsh-voice.html

I tried re-starting NVDA but that didn't help (I had the Save configuration
setting on exit checked) though I was still able to shutdown and restart the
computer because NVDA was still using the SAPI5 voice Zira on the Windows
logon screen.

I tried using Narrator to navigate to the NVDA speech settings menu and
change the voice, but NVDA+n is a Narrator shortcut that says "No main
landmark". I tried using the speech synthesiser ring (NVDA+CTRL+left / right
arrow keys) and adjusting the value of each of the four options (which
obviously were not being spoken) to make sure I changed the synth voice but
again to no avail. When I tried restarting NVDA with CTRL+ALT+n the NVDA
startup sound was heard, but no text was spoken after that point.

In the end I managed to uninstall the new voice using Narrator in the Add
and Remove Programs feature and, after re-starting NVDA a different voice
was being used and I was able to change back to my usual Zira voice.

In these viral isolation times I don't have anybody with sight who can
assist in checking if something might be causing problems with the Harpo /
Ivona voice, but wondered if any NVDA users had experienced anything similar
at any point :)

Needless to say, I've unchecked the NVDA Save configuration on exit chekbox
so that if I try re-installing Geraint I can go back to Zira more easily if
necessary :)

Thanks for any thoughts,

Giles