Re: NVDA has Acquired a new, and somewhat annoying Feature


 

Hi Betsy and all,

I see.

If I understand you correctly, NVDA somehow does not read next messages automatically when you delete the current message in Thunderbird, and you say this problem began when you updated add-ons and/or Thunderbird. To really figure out if it is Thunderbird, can you try reverting (going back) to latest public version of Thunderbird? If that resolves the problem, I think a love call to Mozilla would be in order (i.e. reporting the problem in hopes of Mozilla understanding and resolving it). Also, given that some folks did report a similar problem, I hope others can chime in with their findings with the steps I wrote earlier.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Betsy Grenevitch
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA has Acquired a new, and somewhat annoying Feature

 

I assume I have the latest version of thunderbird. It seemed to start acting up about the same time I updated Thunderbird and also did some add-on updates with NVDA but I do not recall what they are.

 

It took me over half an hour even to get in the program tonight when I had shut it down--Thunderbird.

 

I wish I could figure out how to describe what is going one. One thing is when you delete an email it starts saying different letters like it is trying to tell you what is going on. I also can no longer go from one email to the next and have it read smoothly like I used to be able to do by just pushing the delete on the numpad and it going right to the next email. I now have to push insert and then down arrow--not numpad keys for it to stop saying all of those different letters. It is really hard to describe. It was running so smoothly.

 

I wonder if it is because I am running a beta version as I was willing to be a tester for them? I did not think of that earlier.

 

 

On 4/1/2020 8:34 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.


Regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:

I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.



On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876




 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

-- 
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.