Re: NVDA has Acquired a new, and somewhat annoying Feature

Hi,
The best place to report Mozilla product bugs will be Bugzilla; if not, report them here.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Betsy Grenevitch
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA has Acquired a new, and somewhat annoying Feature

What list do we report to about our issues. I tried to figure out how to download the bog program and can't seem to succed with that either. Today has not been a good day with computers or embossers.

On 4/2/2020 2:31 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello all,

Managed to contact a Thunderbird engineer via Twitter. To help figuring out what’s going with recent TB beta releases, this engineer graciously posted archive links for TB betas (use it at your own risk, especially if you wish to report issues to Thunderbird developers in tracking down performance issues):

1. 74 beta 2: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/74.0b2/
  2. 75 beta 1: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/75.0b1/
  3. 75 beta 2: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/75.0b2/
  4. 75 beta 3: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/75.0b3/

You must choose the installer that is designed for your processor/platform (win32 or win64; for sake of ese of testing, try win32).

For each beta release, please do as exactly as I say below:

1. Install each beta, beginning with 74 beta 2.
  2. Use Thunderbird as usual.
  3. Note down issues such as sluggishness or extra chatter.
  4. If you don’t experience issues, install the next (newer) beta.
  5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until you do come across issues.
  6. Should you experience issues, report to the list immediately so Thunderbird developers can be notified. Be sure to note down exactly what issues you are having and in which Thunderbird beta version you are experiencing these issues.

There is a tool called Mozregression that allows developers to pinpoint exactly which change introduced a bug (NVDA developers can also do this through a tool called “git bisect”). But since not many of you are experienced in this sort of thing, the steps I listed above is the next best thing we have.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:39 PM

68.6 is great. It does what I need it to do. No annoying issues.

I need to check out web interfaces for mail. I never have done much with that.

On 4/2/2020 1:23 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Well to be hhonest if it gets that bad you can always get the older 52x release which is not ever going to aparently get updated.

On 2/04/2020 6:02 pm, Governor staten wrote:

If you revert back, you have to create a new profile. I did it. I have more email accounts to set up. You have to reset all of your settings. I will be sticking with the "release" version of this program, or go to something else in the future.

On 4/1/2020 11:50 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

I do not know how to revert back and if I do will all of my emails stay in tact?

Thanks so much for your help.

On 4/1/2020 11:29 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Betsy and all,

I see.

If I understand you correctly, NVDA somehow does not read next messages automatically when you delete the current message in Thunderbird, and you say this problem began when you updated add-ons and/or Thunderbird. To really figure out if it is Thunderbird, can you try reverting (going back) to latest public version of Thunderbird? If that resolves the problem, I think a love call to Mozilla would be in order (i.e. reporting the problem in hopes of Mozilla understanding and resolving it). Also, given that some folks did report a similar problem, I hope others can chime in with their findings with the steps I wrote earlier.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Betsy Grenevitch
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:24 PM

I assume I have the latest version of thunderbird. It seemed to start acting up about the same time I updated Thunderbird and also did some add-on updates with NVDA but I do not recall what they are.

It took me over half an hour even to get in the program tonight when I had shut it down--Thunderbird.

I wish I could figure out how to describe what is going one. One thing is when you delete an email it starts saying different letters like it is trying to tell you what is going on. I also can no longer go from one email to the next and have it read smoothly like I used to be able to do by just pushing the delete on the numpad and it going right to the next email. I now have to push insert and then down arrow--not numpad keys for it to stop saying all of those different letters. It is really hard to describe. It was running so smoothly.

I wonder if it is because I am running a beta version as I was willing to be a tester for them? I did not think of that earlier.

On 4/1/2020 8:34 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:

I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

-- 
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876
-- 
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876
-- 
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.