Re: another thunderbird issue with focus loss this time


 

I do have simple html, but yeah, I may have to write to the devs about these messages.

I do have remote content back on again, but all these status alerts are getting in the way.



On 9/04/2020 9:42 pm, Gene wrote:
If you don’t want to turn it off, you are taking a needless and significant security risk.  You may be tracked, as you say, but not by the spammers.  They can’t put bugs in your program if you have this setting off and remote content may contain malware.  You may be skeptical of what I say.  Perhaps others will confirm it.  There is a reason this setting is off by default in any e-mail program worth its salt. 
 
Also, if there is this kind of oververbosity, then try using simple HTML, not just HTML as the setting for reading messages.  If the program is designed properly, you shouldn’t get that notice then. If you still do, it would be a very good idea for you and others who use the program to write to the developers and tell them that these sorts of messages, though they may be very easy for sighted people to ignore, aren’t for blind people and represent a major impediment and annoyance and are very bad implementation of accessibility not to be able to turn them off. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 4:06 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] another thunderbird issue with focus loss this time
 

I was able to turn off the junk filter.

My issue with remote content is that on lagit mail I have like newsletters and my descussion groups, almost every message has remote content or is in html.

Every html message thunderbird says, this message has remote content and may be unsafe.

As for spam, google's spam filter strips most of it out.

And before I do  my first mailcheck of the day I do the same check in google webmail.

At the end of my daily sessions I run ccleaner that I have customised to clear my junk and cookie data.

Thunderbirds filters are overzellous and have been that way ever since I have used thunderbird 52x and below.

In fact I started thunderbird at version 20 and it was already overzellous then.

As for tracking, just about every site tracks you anyway.

In fact by reading this lagit message I am being tracked now.

Tracking aint always bad, everyone does it.

I don't click links in messages or read files or open attachments from unknown users and I don't have view pain up so I am quite safe I think.

At any rate the last spam message I got in my inbox with google was at least a year ago and hardly any of them come in.

And it is clear if one of those is spam, reading em aint the issue as such, its all the other stuff.

 

 

On 9/04/2020 8:17 pm, Gene wrote:
It is a dangerous security breach to allow remote content.  You will allow bugs that can track you to be installed if you ever open a spam message by mistake, a lot of such messages have tracking bugs.  You will allow images and other content to run that may have malware.  Do  not do this. 
 
If you don’t know what the effects of lowering such settings are, don’t do it.  Ask here or look up information, but don’t just lower such settings without knowing what they do.  Go back to an earlier version of the program or Try to solve the problem in other ways.  In this case, going back involves creating a new profile.  I don’t know what is involved or how difficult it is.  The work and inconvenience may be more than the problem you are trying to solve.  I don’t know.  I’ll let others discuss that, but change the external content setting bacdk to what it was, not to allow it.  Perhaps setting the program not to use the spam filter or to not send anything to the spam folder might solve the problem if it is the junk diallog you are trying to eliminate.  I don’t know if there are such settings, but checck thoroughly.
 
I have said in the past that you shouldn’t just let the program update any time it feels like doing so.  Maybe now, people will start to listen.  Set the program not to update and don’t do so until some time goes by so you know if you see problems and complaints reported by others who have updated.  You would have saved yourself a lot of problems by doing this. 
 
There may be programs where it is important to let the program update.  A browser may be one.  An e-mail ;program isn’t such a program.  If you update now or a week from now, won’t matter.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] another thunderbird issue with focus loss this time
 
I noticed this to, luckily I have made it so that thunderbirg allows
remote content and this seems to have so far made things work.
Thunderbird spam and junk filters are a joke, I don't know why there
is not a way to rely on something like google's spam mail and turn off
its own or just use an external source, maybe there is I have just
never investigated this.
However google has a really good spam filter and usually gets it right.


On 09/04/2020, Mary Otten mailto:maryotten@... wrote:
> There is another issue that has cropped up since the update today. If
> you arrow in your message list and hit a message that t-bird thinks
> might be junk, some sort of box comes up informing you of that fact and
> offering choices, one of which is a button labeled "not junk". Press
> space on that, and what I expect to happen would be that I'd be put back
> in my messages list. But what seems to happen is that I'm some how stuck
> in the first part of the message that t-bird thought might be junk. I
> can't get out of that. The only thing I can do is close the app and
> re-open. What a waste of time! I've never seen this dialogue before
> about what t-bird thinks is junk, and I don't want to see it. If I think
> it is junk, I'll act accordingly, and  don't need an app interfering.
> How can I get rid of that?
>
>
> \Mary
>
>
>
>
>


Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.