Re: google chrome version 81

Felix G.

I just verified it. They really broke PDF support!
Broken PDF support for sighted users would never have slipped past
quality control, which pretty much informs us where we stand on the
global scale of things.
However, since accessibility-related bugs were fixed in this update,
let's not be overly pessimistic and just call it a mixed bag.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 9. Apr. 2020 um 11:20 Uhr schrieb Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@gmail.com>:

Hi,

As far as I can see, Chrome has changed when we talk about handling PDF
documents.

Another thing I observe is that the options such as: download, print,
fit to page, etc, are not possible to use except when NVDA is switched
to the focus mode. As for the browse mode in a PDF document, there's
nothing one can do in Chrome. That's sad, but it's true.

Try switching to the Opera browser for the time being, because we are
all aware of the fact that the very technologies we engage in our use
have increasingly been changing. That'll be so till the last day on this
earth. Let's try to accept what is before us. Next versions might bring
us what we had in the last one and those preceeding it.

Dejan

On 09/04/2020 01:07, Jason White via groups.io wrote:
If I open a PDF file in Chrome 81, NVDA describes it as an "embedded object", then fails to read it. JAWS does the same, so I assume something changed in Chrome. On the other hand, VoiceOver for Mac with Chrome 81 reads PDF documents as well as ever.

Is this a change that NVDA and other screen readers will need to adapt to, or is it a Chrome bug? Can others reproduce it? Note that I'm not using an external PDF reader; this is entirely with the PDF processor included in Chrome. I can of course use Adobe Reader dC instead, although Chrome was until recently giving me better results on a range of PDF files.

On 4/8/20, 14:27, "Shaun Everiss" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

well thats good to know.

.