locked Re: Thunderbird talking way too much

Howard Traxler

With this new update, when I have a message open and hit delete, it explaines every step of what has to be done to connect to the server, put the message into the trash folder, check for new messages, then download the next message.  It doesn't seem to be quite so chatty when I delete from the list of messages.

In the old days, (in; like; soft vert and vocal eyes, we could make a piece of the screen silent.  Is that function still available in JAWS or NVDA?

On 4/9/2020 2:46 PM, cecropia64 wrote:
i think it was Mike who suggested turning off the status bar.  i did this and it worked fine.  it works for me like it used to before i upgraded.

On 4/9/2020 3:44 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

Well, I also am seeing the latest version of Thunderbird talking way too much.  For about two years, the updates past version 60.8 did not read the status line properly.  Now with 68.7, the status line has returned, but it seems that every action that you perform that causes a change to the status line is now vocalized.  This is entirely too much verbiage. A clumsy work around is to perform an action and then quickly invoke the read line function with insert + up arrow and then go on to perform a new action.  This works best for doing a filtered delete.  By this I mean that I have messages filtered into folders and grouped by conversation.  When doing a browse and delete in each folder, after I select with standard shift + up/down arrows and want to move on for a mass deletion, rather than waiting for the status line to read out, I do the selection, then press the read line keystroke and then continue the shift + down arrow keystroke to continue to highlight the messages I want to delete. It's clumsy but once you get used to it, it does work.

Since this install allows me to stay current with security issues in Thunderbird, I think I'll keep the 68.7 version.  I like being current and having the status line read in some form. Maybe they'll tweak the program a little more for accessibility in future updates.

This is the time when a JAWS frame type feature would be good. You could create the frame around the status line and make it silent and only readable with the hotkey.

On 4/9/2020 9:57 AM, matthew dyer wrote:
Hi,

Getting the same thing.  Hope they can find a fix for this. Thanks.

Matthew

On 4/8/2020 5:44 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I just upgraded Thunderbird to the latest version.  I'm getting a lot of unwanted feedback telling me every time I delete a message how many messages have been moved to trash and how many unread messages are in the inbox.  I hope a fix can be found to turn this off. Maybe someone might find it useful, and if this is so, then a toggle to turn it on or off would be good.

Roger