locked Re: Bug Reports: Thunderbird talks too much

Ron Canazzi

Hi Adriani,

If you subscribe to  multiple mailing lists and if you have filters for each list and if you group messages by conversation, then seeing the number of messages in a folder and the number of unread messages is critical.  It saves a lot of time in moving around collapsing and expanding your conversations,  looking at the folder tree view and so on. 

Previous to version 60.9, when you used the hotkey for reading the status line, it red the critical information described above but otherwise it was silent.  You could navigate around the list of messages and read a message without hearing any blow by blow account of your actions.  With the old JAWS program, you could create a frame around an area of the screen and silence it and use a hotkey to read it.  Maybe NVDA developers could creat a tool for such activity.  Thunderbird isn't the only program where NVDA becomes too verbose.

On 4/9/2020 7:23 PM, Adriani Botez wrote:
Is the information in the status bar very critical? Is it needed to be able to use Thunderbird?
If not, then I suggest to open a bug with Mozilla requesting to include only critical information in the status bar. And write them exactly which information should be excluded from reporting.

Best

Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 10.04.2020 um 01:15 schrieb Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>:

Hi,

Depending on what is causing it, it might be best to either:

• Create a new NVDA issue on GitHub: if NVDA is at fault.
  • Report this to Mozilla via Bugzilla: if it is Thunderbird doing this.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 4:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Bug Reports: Thunderbird talks too much

By the way, there appears to be a related bug on NVDA in GitHub, kind of:  NVDA fails to see text in the status bar of Mozilla Thunderbird 68 and newer
This bug was originally opened in November 2019.  It was the flip side of the current ultra verbose problem.  

However, a comment added yesterday reads, "This has been resolved in Thunderbird version 68.7.0. However, the new issue is that NVDA now tends to automatically read whatever Thunderbird displays in its status bar, thereby making the screen reader quite verbose. I suggest that the auto-reading of the status bar in Thunderbird version 68.7.0 and newer be suppressed. This is with NVDA Version alpha-19925,2d73010e."

There are others here who can advise, since this is the case, whether it's worth creating a new, separate bug or whether, based on the comment, which appears to have been seen by the those who check the reports since two tags, "app/thunderbird" and "bug," were added in response to that comment yesterday.  There's no point in creating a separate bug if it would either be merged into this existing one, or if the comment will trigger an issue split out in to a separate issue.  It's a question of where to comment, and whether that should wait or just occur on the end of the existing bug, even though the main problem description for that bug doesn't match the current issue.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.