Re: How can I get the date from a Braille display?

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi Daniel,

This is almost a finger-twisting exercise  to accomplish using Braille Extender app as you’d need to issue four commands altogether in  rapid succession, meaning two sets of two different key combinations. I tried unsuccessfully many times, and nothing showed on the display. However, there is a neat alternative, which shows  the time and the date all at once on the display.

Are you using the Braille Extender? If not, where might I find a similar command for the date (from a Braille display) if I were to temporarily disable this app?

Best,

Cordelia

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel Gartmann
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 1:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How can I get the date from a Braille display?

Cordelia,

Alright. What happens when you issue NVDA+F12 twice rapidly from the Braille keyboard then?

Daniel

Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Cordelia Scharpf
Sendt: 10. april 2020 11:24
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] How can I get the date from a Braille display?

Daniel,

On both PCs (one Windows 10, the other Windows 7) running NVDA 2019.3.1 and with both the voice and Braille display turned on, I got the following:

NVDA+F12: announces and displays time

NVDA (held down)+F12 (twice rapidly): announces and displays date, including the  day

HTH,

Cordelia

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel Gartmann
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 10:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How can I get the date from a Braille display?

Interesting observations.

Anybody else using a Braille display with a Braille keyboard who can check if it is possible to issue the command to show the date?

Daniel

Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Brian Vogel
Sendt: 9. april 2020 21:31
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] How can I get the date from a Braille display?

By the way, and not using a braille display, when I wanted to get the date announced when NVDA was running I did hold down NVDA then hit F12 twice in rapid succession.

The original post makes me think that NVDA+F12,NVDA+F12 was being pressed twice in rapid succession.  I used NVDA+F12 followed by just F12 in rapid succession, never releasing the NVDA key before both F12s were pressed.   I got the Save dialog in word, or the show elements panel in Brave, if I did NVDA+F12, released NVDA and then hit F12 again quickly.  But never when I depress NVDA, keep it held, and then hit two F12s in rapid succession before releasing NVDA.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.