Re: Additional info about NVDA speaking stuff in Thunderbird when Thunderbird does not have focus

Mary Otten

Thanks, Brian. I’m just not technically savvy enough to know what is extra, or what is already understood in the initial report about the status bar etc. So thank you.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:53 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:37 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I can attest to the fact that if Thunderbird does not have focus, it will still tell you when messages are being downloaded. This is with the status bar not checked.
Mary, that had not been mentioned specifically.  I just went in to the Thunderbird Bug that Shaun Everiss filed in Bugzilla, and added the following, based on your input:

Even when the Thunderbird window does not have active focus, the status bar has been disabled, and NVDA is on, NVDA is still reporting when messages are being downloaded, which was not occurring in the past.

I do not know whether the ARIA fix for the status bar is related to this, but wanted to note the behavior for developers.

Additional details about what Thunderbird is speaking, and shouldn't be speaking or didn't speak before, other than what has been identified already is valuable information.  If others have information like this it's fine to offer it here and, if you can and have Bugzilla account, append a comment to the previously noted bug.  It's information the developers need.

       ~ Madonna