Re: google chrome version 81

mohammad suliman

Hello guys,

Yes, I agree, I think Google is making nice work in the accessibility field, but one always asks for better and better, especially that there are companies who manage to provide that level of accessibility we are hoping for.
I think that PDF documents can be accessible as other file formats. When I started to use computers with a screen readers, I got the impression that PDF documents aren't accessible, not sure where this idea came from. However, gradually I started to realize that you can read PDFs with a screen reader, I have came to know that by accident in fact. From that moment on, I have became more and more reliant on PDF files for my study and work. Recently, I also was told by a friend of mine who works as an accessibility tester that PDFs can be used exactly as HTML forms to fill out data accessibly  of course, which was kind of surprise for me. What I am trying to say that PDF creators have the means to create accessible documents which are very friendly to use, but maybe rules and laws need to make sure this happens.
Let's hope for a better times with PDF accessibility!

best!
Mohammad

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 at 10:43, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
The problem is that pdf is more than a file.

Its an image format, a archive, a document.

A lot of manuals come in it.

At home we save archives of photos and scanned images in it.

Many scanners and such use it as it is a commen format.

So its not going away any time soon.

A properly designed pdf should just work.

But if it doesn't you can use something like codex to convert any pdf
into something that can be used freely.

Now it would be nice if all manuals and stuff the blind need to read
from books to everything else were in actual html code.

Pdfs are like a zip file for images and documents.

Now what needs to happen is that if a pdf is supposed to be for us blind
people to read there needs to be something that stops it being compiled
if its not accessible.

But there are pdf documents that we don't need to read as such.

As I said a lot of scanners and such use pdf generally.

Right now adobe controls all this pdf cloud and other things.

I do think there needs to be something for us users to edit, and view
pdfs, handle forms etc and make things accessible and working.

Most of the time I am converting a pdf into something else though an
accessibly done pdf can be read and its fine.

To be honest if pdfs did go, it would be back to image files.

The good news is that a lot of pdfs for a lot of things like manuals and
the like were created from word documents.

As for flash, it and shockwave are being replaced by air.

The fact shockwave is gone on the web doesn't mean its gone.

Still a lot of people write in it and standalone shockwave and flash are
used.

And web is not fully accessible at all times either.

It would be nice to just kill all custom controls and interfaces but no
one would like that.

Flash is dieing because of security and the fact adobe can't be bothered
maintaining it now html5 can cover its functions.

Pdfs well the tools are out there, but people have to use all of them.