server software in general

To be honest, I don't need hhalf this.

What I am looking for are small things.

I like the idea of wsus, managing my own updates, maybe a media streamer, a time server, wsus is my biggest push.

A dedicated something to run vms on and test unstable software which is not my primary machine.

Wsus is my main push, I don't see any way to use wsus without a server.

But its out of my legue, windows server is far to expensive for me even to concidder it ever at its full price.

I don't need 99% of its features.

I am interested in something with a gui, something not to complex, something everyone in the house can access without being geeks.

Yeah I could use linux, but while I know enough to get my feet wet its just dabbling and becides I'd be excluding justĀ  about everyone else.

I've changed the subject line now to switch the topic over by the way.

Its been something I have been thinking for ages.

But I have never been sure how to proceed.

Being in lockdown has made me dredge up all the ideas I never thought about seriously doing.

At first I thought about loading linux, and while I can do that I have my limits.

Editing any linux file with linux editors which I am not used to as I am used to a lot of gui apps mostly and find them much easier than the terminal though I can use that for simple things to.

On 13/04/2020 7:41 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
When installing Server 2016 and later, you'll be offered to install:
* Windows Server year: Server Core (command-line driven, limited GUI, provides all server features)
* Windows Server year Desktop Experience: Server Core along with full Windows user interface and feel (best suited for remote access or app server)
Once you make a choice, there is no going back without a clean install.
Windows Server is useful if you need to create and manage a domain or need to become familiar with Windows Server technologies such as Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Active Directory (Domain Services, Certificate Services, domain controller management, rights management and many others), System Center suite (Configuration Manager, Virtual Machine Manager, etc.), server-side Hyper-V, Windows Server containers, and in case of one variant, server-side cloud infrastructure (Nano Server, only available to businesses through Software Assurance which isn't cheap (thousands of dollars)). A base Windows Server 2019 Standard license costs at least 800 dollars, and Windows Server 2019 Datacenter costs at least 3000 dollars; more users and devices managed by a server means more costs (called Client Access Licenses or CAL's). As I said, if you want to learn to manage Active Directory or need to use Windows Server technologies in a job setting, I advise staying away from Windows Server.
Cheers,
Joseph P.S. I use Windows Server Insider Preview builds when I need to test next Windows 10 LTSC builds, which is rare.