Hey Gene,

There's another thought that crossed my mind as well, the utility that you're speaking of I seem to remember hearing or reading something about such a thing quite a few years back but have no idea if it's still in existence. I'll be ringing Microsoft sometime tomorrow, if I can't find this utility.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Tony

On 4/16/2020 8:38 PM, Gene wrote:
I’m not at all sure reinstalling will accomplish anything.  There is a way to repair SAPI 5, which I don’t know if it will help.  If the voices work before login, it appears they don’t need reinstallation.  I wonder if it is a registry problem.  While I don’t know, maybe the repair procedure or utility might correct that.  The voices clearly work.  They work on the login screen.  Here again, I don’t know but reinstalling SAPI voices might be something to do after running the repair.  Also, if you are going to fool around trying various things, I wonder if and how you would set the voice to something that isn’t SAPI 5 before login so that if trying things makes things worse, you will have speech on that screen.

I don’t know what was done to your computer, but I believe that even for something unrelated to software, if a computer is brought into a shop, routine diagnostic tests and maintenance may be done and I suspect something was done that caused the problems.  Those who have more technical knowledge and know what shops routinely do may want to comment.  In thinking about what you are describing and about a shop I used to use years ago, I’m beginning to think that if you take a computer in for a specific problem and it wrks properly aside from that, that it might be a good idea to instruct the shop to do nothing else.

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] strange behavior with Microsoft sapi 5 voices and NVDA

Hi Jackie,

That's something I was thinking about possibly having to do, we're on
the same wavelength. Trust me I already as they say, googled it so we
don't even have to go there.  Needless to say, the hits were enormous,
and the answer is the proverbial needle in a haystack.   Where can you
find the actual executable file for performing the re-install, that's
the question now.

Tony