Re: links in email with thunderbird

Henk Mulder

Hi Mary,

I think this also has to do with the extra chatter in the statusbar.
If I open a mail with the statusbar disabled, then NVDA will read the label of the link when I tab to it. If I enable the statusbar and tab to a link, then the URL is shown in the statusbar, and that is what's being read.
So I think that disabling the statusbar will solve your problem.
Note that, if messages are opened in a new window, it will not automatically use the same setting as for the main window of Thunderbird. Therefore you might have to adjust this setting for (1) the main window, (2) the window for reading messages, and (3) the window for composing messages.

Best,
Henk

Op 17/04/2020 om 17:16 schreef Mary Otten:

Hi all,

Until this most recent update to T-bird, the one that started the thread on all that extra chatter, it had been the case that if you opened a message and read it, or if you tabbed through the open message looking for links, those links which had English text associated with the url would announce the same way, i.e. the English text, not the http:// etc would be spoken by NVDA. Now, however, if I get a message and tab through to quickly find the link I know is there, all I get are the readouts of urls, which are not helpful at all. If I read through the message, I hear the actual English text, not the url, but that is inefficient as heck, since in a lot of instances, I know there are titles to stories, for instance in a newsletter, that I want to flip through, rather than listening to them all plus the blurbs after each one.

I hope this description makes sense. What can I do to get my tabbing to read the link label in English as it does when you read straight through, rather than read the html http:// stuff?

Mary