Re: links in email with thunderbird

Stephen

The truth is out there.

----- Original Message -----
From: Henk Mulder <teakevw@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: 4/18/2020 2:05:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] links in email with thunderbird

Hi Mary,

I think this also has to do with the extra chatter in the statusbar.
If I open a mail with the statusbar disabled, then NVDA will read the
label of the link when I tab to it. If I enable the statusbar and tab to
a link, then the URL is shown in the statusbar, and that is what's being
read.
So I think that disabling the statusbar will solve your problem.
Note that, if messages are opened in a new window, it will not
automatically use the same setting as for the main window of
Thunderbird. Therefore you might have to adjust this setting for (1) the
main window, (2) the window for reading messages, and (3) the window for
composing messages.

Best,
Henk

Op 17/04/2020 om 17:16 schreef Mary Otten:
Hi all,

Until this most recent update to T-bird, the one that started the
thread on all that extra chatter, it had been the case that if you
opened a message and read it, or if you tabbed through the open
message looking for links, those links which had English text
associated with the url would announce the same way, i.e. the English
text, not the http:// etc would be spoken by NVDA. Now, however, if I
get a message and tab through to quickly find the link I know is
there, all I get are the readouts of urls, which are not helpful at
all. If I read through the message, I hear the actual English text,
not the url, but that is inefficient as heck, since in a lot of
instances, I know there are titles to stories, for instance in a
newsletter, that I want to flip through, rather than listening to them
all plus the blurbs after each one.

I hope this description makes sense. What can I do to get my tabbing
to read the link label in English as it does when you read straight
through, rather than read the html http:// stuff?

Mary