Hi Group,

I have no idea how this happened.  I distinctly remember installing the new Edge version 79.X a few weeks ago.  I don't use Edge a lot and I think I may have tried to delete the shortcut I placed on the desktop to the old Edge. Maybe I accidentally deleted the new Edge shortcut.  If I do have the new edge installed, how do I distinguish it from the old one in terms of finding the executable under the program files or program files (X86) folder structure to reestablish the proper shortcut to the new Edge?

My apologies!

On 4/18/2020 1:42 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

To expand on what Brian wrote: to find out which Edge you’ve got, from Edge window, press NVDA+F1 to open log viewer. One of the information recorded is app (product) version you’ve got. If appModule.productVersion says:

  • 79 or higher: new Edge
  • Under 79: old Edge

At this point, I recommend installing Edge 81 or later (although you’ll lose PDF reading functionality for a while, it is fixed in Edge 83 development builds; I’ll write a companion message to Win10 forum).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 10:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Menus In New Microsoft Edge

Hi Brian,

I am thoroughly confused.  I again tried these keystrokes on two systems and they do not work.  The alt + X keystroke works. It must be the correct version of Edge, because the interface is very Chrome-like.

What gives!!!

On 4/18/2020 1:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Again, the proper keystroke is alt + X.

No, Ron, it's not.  There is no ALT+X shortcut in new Edge.  Microsoft always publishes its keyboard shortcuts for its products, and new Edge is no exception:

Keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Edge

ALT+F or ALT,DownArrow will bring up the Edge menu (just like it brings up the Chrome menu, Brave Menu, and all other Chromium-based browser menus).

You have something really, really weird going on, and that needs to be addressed.  But ALT+X is not a valid keyboard shortcut for new Edge, when working correctly, period.  It does nothing and is not documented as a keyboard shortcut for Chromium-based Edge.

       ~ Madonna

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"