Re: how can I set symbol pronounciation for special case?

Sascha Cowley

Hi Brian,

The regular expression should be: ([a-zA-Z])'

That is, the second 'z' should be uppercase. As is, that regex will match anything between uppercase A and lowercase z, which includes things like square brackets.

Regards,
Sascha

On 19/04/2020 03:48, Brian Vogel wrote:
Sam,

          I would do this using the speech dictionary and a regular expression for the item.  If I am safe in assuming that the thing with the prime in front of it will always be a single letter, preceded by a space, and you are not using single quotes to enclose phrases (at least not commonly), then try this:

1. NVDA+P,D,D  to open NVDA Preferences, Speech Dictionaries, Default Dictionary
2. Activate the Add Button
3. In pattern, place the following:  ([a-zA-z])'
4. In replacement, place the following:  \1 prime
5. In comment make whatever note you'd like, I said mathematical prime
6. Don't check the case insensitive checkbox.
7. Activate the Regular Expression radio button.

If you do use single quotes frequently to enclose phrases, e.g., 'this phrase enclosed with single quotes,' I can try to get more sophisticated and use lookback in the regular expression to avoid instance for single quoted phrases.   As the regular expression I gave is currently constructed, it will match only a single character that's a lowercase or uppercase letter followed by the prime single quote.

I tested this in Notepad and its working.

       ~ Madonna