Re: Using WhatsApp on The Computer

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I will copy and paste it into this email just in case there are others who might use it.

this is still a rough draft so has not been edited. The stars in it are where the headings will go when it goes to be a web page.

I will go back in over the weekend and either edit the document if more is needed and or upload it. I probably need to refresh what I had done as well in it.

I will see also if it was my video camera etc not working with trying another or it might not just do it yet?

Just not sure how much to add some times?

*Using WhatsApp with nvda

*WhatsApp  for web
There is a app version which you can install on to your computer. The app version is the same as the web version in looks. Both the web version and app version can not do audio or video at present.
so you can only send and recieve messages on the computer.
You will need to go to the following web address at https://web.whatsapp.com/
Before you can use the web version you must have it setup on your mobile phone and already have a account setup. After you have signed into the app on your phone you will need to go to more options...settings....whats app web and double tap. This will also need to be done on the computer you are using.then you will have to scan in a Qr code. If the code needs to be refreshed while on the graphic use the NVDA key + enter key to do this. from the monitor for it to sign you in.
The computer must be on the same web address as above.

when you go to scan in the QR code The QR code is on the top right corner of the screen.

This can be a little tricky to do but after it scans the code what shows on your phone will show on your computer monitor.
You will neeed to do this from your phone to scan in the 'QR code.
The phone might vibrate when it has scanned in the code then mirror your phone.

*After you have signed into the whats app on the web
*Quick navigation keys that can be used with NVDA

You can use the following B for buttons, E for editable fields, F or form fields, H for headings, K for link,
For some reason on the buttons you can not use the space bar or enter key you need to use the NVDA key + Enter key on the numeric keypad to activate them.
On some sections the enter key will work You can use The up, down, left and right arrow keys along with CTRL + home for the top of the page and CTRL + END for bottom of the page.
From the page after you have logged in as you go down the page you will hear the following button status, new chat button, menu button, button but if arrowed up once you will hear clickable turn on desk top notifications, or arrow down you will hear Search or start new chat
  Just under it is a editable area where you can type.
Under the editable area you will also hear the following No chats
Keep your phone connected
WhatsApp connects to your phone to sync messages. To reduce data usage, connect your phone to Wi-Fi.
WhatsApp is available for Windows. Get it here.

*Status button

When you go into this section you will hear the following My StatusNo updates
Click on a contact to view their status updates

*New chat button

under the new chat section you will hear the following read out by NVDA
New chat
Search contacts you can search for a contact on your list here.
New group you can add people to a group you setup up to 256 people.

Amanda Hutton
Sleeping
Ray Pope
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.
Nathan Wheeler
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.
Larry And Ali Gray
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.
Graham Posen
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.

Status
New chat
Menu

*Menu button

Under this section you will hear nvda say clickable button   New group. You can have up to 256 people in your group up from 100

clickable button  Profile  ADD PROFILE PHOTO
Your Name
Gene
Edit
This is not your username or pin. This name will be visible to your WhatsApp contacts.
About
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.
Edit

Clickable button   Archived Archived chats
No archived chats
If you have not arkhived any chats then you will get the above message.

Starredclickable button Starred messages
No starred messages

Settings Get notified of new messages
Turn on desktop notifications
Gene
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.
Notifications
Chat Wallpaper
Blocked
Help

Status

clickable button log out. If you log out from the web version of this app you will need to scan the QR code again to sign into the web version.

*Adding contacts

On your phone go into where your contacts are then add the persons name and mobile number. They will need to do the same on there end. There details will be uploaded to the app so either data or wifi will need to be on to to do this..

*New chat

If you want to text  chat one of your contacts locate the new chat button then press the nvda key +enter key on the numeric keypad. You will then be given the following Gen Search contacts

New group
FREQUENTLY CONTACTED
A list of your contacts will come up you will need to choose one. Ray Hope

Nathan Whyte
Locate the person you want to chat with and Press the enter key on the person you want and then you will be given some options such as
You will hear attach, Open emojis panel
Type a message
Type in your message etc then send it.

 You can also review the messages you have sent to them.

Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.
Notifications
Chat Wallpaper
Blocked
Help

Status

If you log out you will need to scan in the QR code again unless you leave your self signed in.

Gene nz

On 24/04/2020 9:18 am, Bhavya shah wrote:
Hi Gene,

Oh, so WhatsAppp Web is still usable? I am aware of the general
process of scanning the QR code and will hopefully figure out its
interface by experiment. It would be great if you could tutorial you
have written about this; it could only help.

Thanks.

On 4/22/20, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
Hi Bhavya Shah

I wrote a tutorial for the web version but have not put it on my website.

You will need a mobile phone with whats app on

You will need to change some settings so it points to the web version
and you will need to scan in a I think it is a qr code then it will sign
you in.

Your phone is used to do this but needs to be pointed towards the monitor.

Do not do my trick I do not have the monitor on and thought I had turned
it on maybe off then scanned the QR code but would not sign me in the
reason was the monitor was off as confirmed by the wife.

Guess that is life.

when you are in there you can use nvda to jump around and chat with your
friends and or read there messages.

At the time I did it I do not think it could do audio or video chats so
just left it on the computer. I was sure my camera is working but could
not see any settings at that time to add a camera//mike or maybe it just
can not do it as not part of the software yet.

I had just started using the mobile version so hoped it would work with
my video camera/mic on the computer.

It is a rough draft but think it was finished off but can not remember
if it covered groups as it could get confusing? depending how it was done.

I have not been back in lately to see if it has been added or tried
another camera/mic just in case.

Let us know if you want a copy of it I can post as is but a more
polished copy will go on my website when I get a little time free.

Just come in from getting the deck rails sanded, clean etc and have it
ready to paint which she is doing now.

Time for a coffee and a rest.

Gene nz

On 22/04/2020 8:30 am, Bhavya shah wrote:
Dear all,

As the subject line implies, I would like to access WhatsApp on my
computer using NVDA.
* WhatsApp Web, according to the F123 Access service that used to make
it screen reader accessible, is no longger such and F123 Access is now
abandonware.
* Is WhatsApp for Desktop, the application, accessible with NVDA? Do
let me know.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.