Re: Important: list migration plan #adminnotice

That sounds like a good plan.
I actually after saying I wouldn't decided to just shove over early, I am on both lists, so I can both continue discussions on this new location and see the sunset messages of this one.
One thing though, I'd actually like list start and maybe sunset messages or the sunset messages archived if not in list archive but in somewhere.
There was supposed to be an nvda project history and I actually think now is the time to make one.
I don't mean versions but someone discussed a bit ago about modifying the code to get rid of historic things.
That person said that code contained all the advancements from way back.
I did say something should be done and I say it again.
I don't mean nvda as a screenreader, I mean nvda as a project.
I would like a history archive to be updated with various events.
1. when nvaccess starts and how.
2. when did nvda start and what the first version did?
3. all major events that made the reader what it was today and maybe the minor events or sub events.
How all the lists started and ended and why messages etc.
All the grants recieved and all that sort of thing and anything else you or anyone else can come up with.
Obviously this would be an online wiki or some brief that would be continuously updated but I do actually want to see that and think its important we don't loose our history.
I'd actually like to know where I came from and why I came there.
my first version was version 425 and I was just out of university, but for myself I just got it because it was free never bothered much on documenting.
I know its a lot of work and may need a few people to do it but could that be done? I will help where I can but its just an idea from me.

On 2/03/2016 11:53 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
*** For Groups.IO members: the below message was also sent to Freelists
version. ***

Hello everyone,

This is your acting head admin speaking.

Some of you may have noticed hashtags as part of the subject line. On
Groups.IO, you can add hashtags to subject lines to make archive searching
easier (if the head admin approves, I'll let members create hashtags).

Now to the subject at hand: This is to inform you of our list migration plan
for the next few weeks as we retire Freelists list. This is designed to give
you time to switch over to the new list provider and to adjust to the new
environment (including the user interface).

Migration plan:

* List became online: March 3, 2016.

* Stage 0: Contacting members set on vacation at Freelists: March
1st through 15th. I've received a handful of replies from these members and
plan to switch them over to our new list provider if permission is granted.

* Stage 1: No more new subscribers on Freelists: Starting today
(after Groups.IO list becomes operational), no new subscribers will be
allowed on the Freelists version of this list. Also, NVDA community wiki
will be updated to point to Groups.IO page, and an invite will be sent to
Freelists list members to join the Groups.IO list. If you'd like to remove
yourself from the Freelists list before the list closure happens, please do
so AFTER official notice is given today.

* Stage 2: Membership migration: Starting from March 7th, members
will be asked to migrate to the new list provider (you can join now if you
wish). This is also the day when members who request "instant switchover
service" will be added to the new list (that is, if you cannot subscribe via
email for whatever reason, send an email to nvda+owner@groups.io
<mailto:nvda+owner@groups.io> and the admins will add you directly; this is
a limited time offer (will last for two weeks)).

* Stage 3: Archive freeze: members will be allowed to post messages
until March 31, 2016. From that point on, only four more messages will be
sent from admins (not to be archived): last membership migration reminder,
archive freeze declaration, list status report, farewell address and list
closure notice. The archive freeze is necessary in order to transfer
archives of Freelists version to Groups.IO, hoping to be complete before
first session of NVDACon 2016 begins (April 22nd, 21st for some).

* Stage 4: List closure: Immediately upon the end of the last
session of NVDACon 2016 (May 1, 2016 for some), the Freelists list will
become history. Members remaining until then will be removed from Freelists
list.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Cheers,

Joseph