locked Re: A caution especially in these times

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:47 PM, Sandra Johnson wrote:
Does this mean we should turn off automatic updates and do them manually from the website?
No.  Period.

I don't know how many times it is going to take to convince people that there will, always, be outlier systems that crash and burn subsequent to any given update.  It simply happens.

The reports I've read (and I am with Sarah on Kim Komando, she and the tech writer for Forbes are both well-known overreactors to anything Microsoft-related) all indicate, as Joseph Lee has mentioned, that the issues are on a tiny subset of computers.

The dangers of blocking updates so hugely outweigh allowing them to be applied that this should never be considered.  Also, any computer owner who is not taking routine full system image backups, and this has been true for decades now, is playing Russian roulette.  You need to be backing up in case anything causes your system to crash.