locked Re: A caution especially in these times

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:47 PM, Sandra Johnson wrote:
Does this mean we should turn off automatic updates and do them manually from the website?
No.  Period.

I don't know how many times it is going to take to convince people that there will, always, be outlier systems that crash and burn subsequent to any given update.  It simply happens.

The reports I've read (and I am with Sarah on Kim Komando, she and the tech writer for Forbes are both well-known overreactors to anything Microsoft-related) all indicate, as Joseph Lee has mentioned, that the issues are on a tiny subset of computers.

The dangers of blocking updates so hugely outweigh allowing them to be applied that this should never be considered.  Also, any computer owner who is not taking routine full system image backups, and this has been true for decades now, is playing Russian roulette.  You need to be backing up in case anything causes your system to crash.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.