Re: Speech recognition and deaf-blind

John,

            One of my earliest clients, though not deaf-blind, was legally blind with a significant speech atypicality secondary to cerebral palsy.  That was about 4 years ago now, and we used Dragon Naturally Speaking.  I was absolutely floored at how well it recognized his speech without any use of the training scripts at all.  We did eventually do some, but even doing those is fairly short work with an assistant feeding you the lines into your ear.  This is, perhaps, a half an hour or so of time if you go through all of them, and after that the recognition levels are just incredibly good.

            It looks like Nuance doesn't actually do true trial versions anymore, but they offer a 30-day money back guarantee on any of the versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking.  If you know you'd like to try it and have the time to put in the work to trying to get to know the software those 30-days should be enough for a go/no-go decision.