Re: Question: Are there any tutorials on backup and restore helpful for NVDA users who totally rely on speech or Braille?

John Isige

Has anybody tried booting Windows and recovering from there? What I mean is, if you boot off of a Windows disk, DVD/USB/whatever, as though you were installing, you can run Narrator. I wonder if you could then get out of that install, and put in the disk/whatever with your recovery program, and restore your image that way? I'm surprised Windows doesn't have tools to do this built-in, by this point.

Actually it kind of does, you could reset while keeping files or whatever it's called, though I'm not sure if that menu's accessible with Narrator yet. I know the boot menu, i.e. where you pick safe mode or what have you, isn't accessible with a screen reader. I did do an install from a Windows image mostly by myself once, I had to get my wife to help me figure out selecting from their table of options but other than that I did it, but I've never tried booting from an image and seeing what, if any, recovery options I can get. Of course this probably won't help if you're drive's messed up enough that you're doing the equivalent of a reinstall. But that's where trying to boot from a Windows install and getting to your recovery program of choice would come in.

I should add this is only for Windows 10 past certain editions, I can't recall which one but you should pretty much be able to do it by now because I think it was like Creator's or something fairly old. Yet another reason to update, if you can manage it, you're getting some spiffy new features, including Narrator in safe mode.

On 4/27/2020 13:31, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:55 PM, zahra wrote:

restoring backup is accessible
for screen readers.

In looking at the website for Drive Snapshot <http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/>, unless you were to be restoring from within Windows, which is not what you're doing in the event of a disaster recovery like having your main disk die, I cannot see how this utility is any more accessible than any other is under those circumstances.

Virtually all of them are accessible if you're doing a recovery starting from within Windows itself, but that's not the kind of recovery that's done most often except by those who have "experimental machines" that they wish to restore to pre-experimenting state afterward.

*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth./*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019