that also make sense...but perhabs this should also be mentionend in die Users Guide...in my opinion.

Yours

Karl-Heinz Arkenau

Am 02.05.2020 um 20:41 schrieb Joseph Lee:

Hi,
I recommend not editing the first few entries (such as ". sentence ending"), as they are reserved for use when processing characters (there is a dedicated module in NVDA that will look for these and take appropriate action).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karl-Heinz Arkenau
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2020 10:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Punctation and Symbols Settings

Hello,

thank you for the good explenation.

Of course, alls this makes (at leeast to me, somewehere in the word mey be someone with a different opinion...) sense...but I was wondering this "sentence ending" because it is not mentionend anywhere in die Users Guide and that made me curios and I couldn't let go of it. It's my nature..sorry if it was disturbing.

Greetings

Karl-Heinz

Am 02.05.2020 um 18:25 schrieb Brian Vogel:
I don't know how to make the explanation "sentence ending" more clear, but I'll try. It means a period at the end of a sentence, like this one. It does not mean a decimal point, like this, 151.20, or a date separator, like this, 2020.05.02, or any one of a number of other contexts where a period might be used other than as the terminal punctuation on a sentence.

Any of the punctuation settings that "come with" NVDA are given by NVDA and some, like this one, cannot be removed (and who would want to?). I feel fairly certain that the descriptive phrase, "period, sentence ending," is, under the hood, a regular expression that catches the character before the period, the period itself, and makes sure that there is white space of some sort following it or that it is the very end of a string with nothing after it. That would not be a clearer explanation to the majority of people than, "period, sentence ending."

I do not see any way to give the sentence ending attribute to some random other symbol, but why would one want to do so? Off the top of my head, the three sentence ending punctuation marks in most (not all) European languages are period, question mark, and exclamation point. All those are already covered by what "comes with" the NVDA punctuation characters list, though you could choose to modify what's announced. Just the other day someone was asking about forcing sentence ending exclamation point to be pronounced as exclamation point rather than bang when reading at the punctuation level, which you can do by changing the replacement word from "bang" to the two words "exclamation point." There is a separate entry for the exclamation point symbol, in a non-sentence ending context, that uses bang as its replacement. If you do a lot of programming where the exclamation point is used for negation, and you're having that read, it's a lot faster and cleaner to hear something like, "If bang A," rather than, "If exclamation point A," since bang has been used as the shorthand name for exclamation point for a very long time now.

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine
Sentiment Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us
.html ) , September 23, 2019