Re: Converting JAWS Dictionaries

Ron Kolesar

I too agree.
I have several different JAWS dictionary folders, and since I’m now learning NVDA, it would be nice to have NVDA pronounce words correctly.
Many Thanks.
Ron KR3DOG

Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 14:17
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Converting JAWS Dictionaries

Hi, may someone could write this as an Add-on for NVDA? This would be really cool!

kind regards
Bernd
Am 23.04.2020 um 19:52 schrieb Brian Vogel:
Pele,

If you happen to know Linux/Unix, the awk command will be very easy to use to do the conversion.

A JAWS dictionary line has the fields, in order:  Actual word|Replacement Word|Language (0x09-English)|Synthesizer|Voice|Language (0 is default)|Case sensitive (0 - No, 1 -Yes)
For the JAWS dictionary, the fields themselves are DOT enclosed/separated, UNLESS, the actual word starts with a dot, in which case it's a comma used for the separator.

The NVDA dictionary file layout is simpler, and the fields are tab separated.  The first field does not have a separator before it.  They are arranged as:
Matching word or regular expression|Replacement|Case Sensitivity (0 - no, 1 - yes)|Type (2 - Whole Word, 1 - Regular Expression, 0 - Anywhere)|Comment (All comments are pre-pended with a #

For both dictionaries, there is a single entry per line of the file.

Have fun with it.  It doesn't appear to be particularly complicated.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,From
Ron Kolesar
Volunteer Certified Licensed Emergency Communications Station
And
Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham Radio Station
With the Call Sign of KR3DOG

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.