Re: windows program for creating a recovery drive is not fully accessible

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi Brian,

As some one who has done this on numerous times, it can be done.  Making backup accessible is great but, you only have the option to use a talking WINPE to do the restore.  As indicated in a previous message, I have created a flash drive with various additional software.

All I do is boot of the flash drive which loads the win PE and run the restore from there.  I have software on the disk which allows me to even run various other tools to check hardware etc.  Most of these programs are portable and do not need to be installed.

I even used GRML which is a talking Linux to do a restore when my hard drive got corrupted. Like most things, there are times when you need a pair of eyes and that’s when services such as “be my eyes” can come to the rescue… I generally stay away from the so-called rescue disks because these do not have speech.

So, This can be done, it does need lots of additional knowledge to make work.

Thanks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, 08 May 2020 02:40
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] windows program for creating a recovery drive is not fully accessible

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 08:13 PM, Bob Jutzi wrote:

I'm not sure what's being referred to as I'm using the most recent Insider preview 19624 and there still is the accessible option of creating a recovery drive.  Quickest way to find it is entering Recovery in the search box and the Create a Recovery drive option is displayed.

The Recovery drive is nothing more than a tool for restoring a backup, and unless you have a version (not created directly by Windows) that uses Windows PE with a screen reader built-in, it's not accessible either.

For those that are also members of the JAWS for Windows Support Group there is a huge ongoing conversation occurring there about this.

I feel, in certain ways, like I'm talking to walls over there.  There exist several "very geeky" options, which require using talking Windows PE, that are accessible, but are not simple to implement, if you wish to be able to do both ends of the process - system image backup and restore from a system image - with full accessibility.  And when I say "restore from a system image" I'm not talking about doing this from within Windows, as it is the rare case where one does a restore from within Windows.  I care about folks being able to do a recovery from a catastrophic failure, most typically the failure of your main system drive, and I have yet to see any reasonably easy utility that supports this.  Some are recommending Image For Windows, which I have never used.

I have written tutorials on taking backups using Macrium Reflect Free, which is an excellent utility, and which is 100% accessible for taking system image backups.  But it is not accessible for a system restore from a catastrophic failure (like virtually every thing else) because the bootable recovery environment is not Windows and does not include a screen reader.

My main concern is that people actually take full system image backups whether or not they can personally do a restore in the event of catastrophic failure or not.  Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a recovery (even if you teach them, unless you have the opportunity to practice - and heaven forbid you do - you forget) and have to call in assistance.

No matter what you may end up doing, it's far more critical to take system image backups so they are available for someone to recover using them, than it is to be able to actually do said recovery independently.  

Here's the tutorial on Macrium Reflect to create full system image backups:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.