Re: Lost voices and speech synths

Tony Ballou

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same thing. I've had to deal with some stuff and haven't talked to the folks at Microsoft about it yet. However, they may be able to help things out.

Tony

On 5/8/2020 5:24 AM, Gerry wrote:
Hi, this is my first post and it is a great list

On Friday 26th April my Win10 laptop was updated automatically. When the system re-started my NVDA voice had been replaced by Hazel.  On investigation I had lost all voices except Hazel, listed  under Microsoft API version 5 and George, listed under Windows one core voices. The voice I had lost was male, possibly David, but I had not needed to look at this for years. I much prefer the voice I lost.

   At the time I was running nvda Feb 19, so I updated to March 19. This made no difference. Next I reverted to original configuration. This did make a difference. I now had the following settings.

Synthesisors, E speak ng, Microsoft API version 5, Windows one core

In Microsoft API 5 I have only Microsoft zero Desk top United States and Microsoft Hazel English UK.

In Windows one core voices I have, George, Susan and Hazel.

As I don't like any of these voices, I need to find a way to obtain a voice I like.

My questions

1 Was the MS update unusual this time as I have never experienced this situation before?

2    What synthesisers and voices come as standard with nvda?

3    Would an un-install and re-install fix my problem? I have not tried this as I would need sighted help.

4    I followed the recent  thread on Code factory and Tiflow and wonder if I should go to one of these ?

5 How can I download the latest User Manual?

Any advice on these issues would be gratefully received.

with thanks

Gerry