locked Re: How to prevent NVDA from automatically reading messages in outlook when open them?

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Ok so we are talking about the first line of the email.  If You prefer to go line by line through an email It speaks something you wanted to copy you have to go through the email a second time to do what you would had to do just once if you had it speak no part of the body of the email.  As another user said its about user choice. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to prevent NVDA from automatically reading messages in outlook when open them?

First, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing.  I have often seen complaints about the subject line being read when a message is opened in Thunderbird.  Are you talking about that or about the first line of the message body being read?  I can see a justification for requesting that the subject line not be read when a message is opened.  But if your complaint is that the first line of the message body is read, you haven't explained why that is a problem.

This behavior, not reading the first line, could be made application specific by the user by using profiles.  But we need to be sure we are talking about the same thing and you need to make a good case for not having the first line of the message body be read if you want the developers to possibly seriously consider adding the feature.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:08 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] How to prevent NVDA from automatically reading messages in outlook when open them?

Gene that is not true!  It could be made to be application specific. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:24 PM

This isn't just changing how the program responds in this one situation.  the program behaves in this way every time you open a document in any document reading program.  One person or two people by themselves don't make a convincing case for changing this behavior.  And if you change the behavior by providing a don't read any of document automatically feature, what will you substitute in its place?  Think of what it means.  If nothing is spoken, you won't know when a document has opened.  You may not even know the program itself has opened, if you click on a file and nothing is spoken. 

I want verification that something has opened and appears to be working properly.  the most efficient way to do that is by having the first line read automatically.  That way, I get information about the first line, which I often want instead of some sort of generic announcement such as program x has opened, document y has opened and reading something like the title of the document. 

In short, you would have to come up with something more efficient and more useful than what you are complaining about now if you want a change because I very much doubt most people want such a change or option.  Are you literally asking that nothing be spoken?  That is most unsatisfactory.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 5:12 PM

I have seen at least one other person request this feature.  Its clearly not just me who wants this.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 4:58 PM

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 04:35 PM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:

to read it in your preferred mode by default.

And when, "your preferred method," could be one of who knows how many, it becomes ridiculous to try to implement said preferences.  This may not be one of those cases, but I am discussing a general principle.

There are constant complaints about how complex the preferences settings are for a wide variety of programs, but those complexities are the direct result of trying to allow individual users maximum control over how things work.  And even then, default choices have to be made, none of which satisfy everyone.

There are times when giving no options makes far more sense than giving many, when exiting the default behavior is a single keystroke away.  You (any you) may argue whether that's the case here, and that's perfectly legitimate discussion, but it's very hard to argue the general principle.  Option bloat is a very serious issue to be considered and it's often hard to strike the right balance between "all" or "nothing" that makes most happy.  Everyone will never be happy.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.