Re: nvda 20.1 startup error

Quentin Christensen

Hi Shaun,

You mentioned restarting from an installed or portable copy without add-ons  - do you have add-ons in your installed version which is starting on startup?  (Just checking because of the wording).

The first thing that springs to mind with just about any issue like this which occurs at system start up but not other times, is that when you log into Windows (and actually are you talking the logon screen, or after logging in here?) many things are happening - services starting, programs starting, functions being performed (connecting to remote services like OneDrive, or various programs performing whatever scans they might want to do etc).

All of that can cause programs not to be able to get the CPU time or memory they usually expect to have ready access to.

Having said that, I'm still interested in narrowing down what the cause is here.  Can you also confirm this has only started happening since 2020.1 came out?

Quentin.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 9:42 AM Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
Hi all.

Just wandered if anyone has gotten this.

After startup of the system nvda does not always speak saying its
reached the desktop but if I hit a key it does.

Even if it does speak, I seem to be getting this error in the log.

There is a similar error when or after the autoupdate check line

on system startup the error is.

ERROR - NVDAObjects.behaviors.LiveText._monitor (11:37:09.710) -
Dynamic_KeyboardHandlerBasedTypedCharSupportWinConsoleIAccessibleWindowNVDAObject._monitorThread
(3256):
Error getting initial lines
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "NVDAObjects\behaviors.pyc", line 288, in _monitor
   File "NVDAObjects\window\winConsole.pyc", line 73, in _getTextLines
   File "winConsoleHandler.pyc", line 127, in getConsoleVisibleLines
   File "wincon.pyc", line 77, in GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo
OSError: [WinError 6] The handle is invalid.

rnvda

If I exit and relaunch normally including from a portable coppy without
any addons and normally there is none.

It seems just to be if nvda is loading at system startup.

Its really not a show stopper, it just is.

Nvda does come up and it does work but still there it is.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager