Re: NVDA verbosity question with outlook.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

One thing that would be helpful is having the ability to have NVDA read nothing when you open a message.  Jaws has this feature.  It is called  messages automatically read.  It could be off by default and allow the user to use it or not.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 2:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA verbosity question with outlook.

Hi Dennis,

Firstly, I'm going to assume that you opened a message in between checking the status bar with Jaws (which counted 9 unread messages) and NVDA  (which reported 8 unread messages).

Ok, Outlook has a number of options for what it displays on its status bar.  Like Word, you can customise what is displayed, and like Word, you can manipulate some of the controls on the status bar.  In particular, you can change between normal and reading view and change the zoom.

To disable any of those items you don't want to use, press F6 to move the focus to the status bar, then press the applications key to open the context menu.  Use the arrow keys to move through the options and spacebar to check or uncheck items as you see fit.

Out of curiosity, does the same apply to other Office programs?  Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc?  Does NVDA read more of those items than Jaws?

I'll update our Switching from Jaws to NVDA guide once I know whether to note it as just for Outlook or all of Office.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 5:27 AM Dennis L <dennisl1982@...> wrote:

Hi, are there verbosity settings I need to change so that NVDA more closely speaks what Jaws does when I read the outlook status bar?  The first example is Jaws the second is NVDA.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

Status Bar Items in View 45 Unread Items in View 8 Normal View. Show All Pinned Panes. Reading View. Hide All Pinned Panes. Zoom Out Zoom 0 Zoom In Zoom 10% Size box

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager