Re: Toggle Passing Keys in NVDA?

Sarah k Alawami

That's not actually what we are asking. If I need to do something with nvda speach on, and I have to pass keys through to said app, I would want a sticky way of doing this.

On 10 May 2020, at 23:30, Quentin Christensen wrote:

NVDA has a "sleep mode".  Press NVDA+shift+s (or if using laptop keyboard layout press NVDA+shift+z) and NVDA will be silent and will ignore keystrokes while you are in the current program (or until you press the sleep command again).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Tilea <sabelyn@...> wrote:
Hi there! I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell NVDA to stop processing commands for a time, similar to the "pass next key through" command. When using an application/ widget that has heavy keyboard accessibility, NVDA's commands really hinder the use of the application, and having to press NVDA+F2 between each and every keystroke would make - say - a game using its own keyboard commands practically unplayable. I thought perhaps the "application sleep mode" was what I needed, but not only does the command listed on the reference do absolutely nothing for me, it apparently stops the speech synthesis as well, which I don't want.

What I'm looking for is a key stroke that tells NVDA to start ignoring/passing keys until that same keystroke is entered again, or something to that effect.

Searching for this has yielded nothing helpful because any way I phrase the question, I simply get linked back to the user guide or commands quick reference, which so far as I've seen, doesn't have any solution. Is there perhaps an addon that would allow this, or have I missed something in NVDA's main feature set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager