From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 12:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to prevent NVDA from automatically reading messages
in outlook when open them?

Web pages are a little different though. If you go to a web page, there
might be several minutes of reading menus, sidebars, headers, and other
crap, before you ever get to the meat of the page.
That's why the auto read for webpages can be turned off.

With an email, if you open it, presumably you intend to read all or part of
it, and so it is more reasonable to start reading it.

That said, in my mind, it would make a lot more sense if it started reading
the entire mesage rather than just the first line. If it just reads the
first line, you still have to take manual action to read the rest of the
message. It seems like it would not be satisfying either the people who want
to hear nothing, or the ones who want to hear the entire message without
doing anything after they hit open. So I'm not sure of the value of a first
line only read.

Luke

On Mon, 11 May 2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually I have my web pages not read a thing. I know when they are open
only when I check, and for me that's fine. Same with most messages, although
reading the first line would be nice.