Re: New SpeakOn MediaSuite NVDA add-on for version 2019.3.1 and later

Isaac Porat

Hi

Firstly indeed you can mute the NVDA speech manually, with the add-on you don't need to think about it.

If you interact with SpeakOn using the Standard keyboard NVDA might speak when SpeakOn has the focus depending on your general configuration of NVDA (key press echo etc).

A very attractive way to interact with SpeakOn is using the Numpad; only 11 keys are required and one can use the numpad from the main keyboard, a USB numpad and even a wireless one. SpeakOn uses the numbers and you don't want NVDA speaking when you operate the keys, indeed you can do this manually.

A third way You can interact with SpeakOn is using the touch screen on your laptop or tablet (if you are prepared to learn its gestures).

If you do that, you must use the add-on otherwise NVDA gets the input from the screen and the SpeakOn touch gestures don't work.

The alternative is to switch Off NVDA which is of course a pain.

I hope the purpose of the add-on is now clear.

Regards

Isaac

On 12/05/2020 18:36, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi David,

What I use is the sleep mode keystroke.  It is a toggle insert + shift + S to turn speech on/off as you move from program to program if necessary.

On 5/12/2020 10:53 AM, David Griffith wrote:
The main benefit of the addon is that it automatically mutes and unmutes NVDA as you shift focus to and away from the self voicing aspects of Speak ON.

David Griffith