Re: pdfs with all words crammed against the next word with no spaces between

Marquette, Ed

Using another screen reader does not help.  It is an Adobe problem.  If one prints to paper and scans it back in, running standard OCR fixes the problem.

I like the solution another lister suggested, namely, use a PDF-handling piece of software to print to PDF.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] pdfs with all words crammed against the next word with no spaces between

[ CAUTION - EXTERNAL SENDER ]

Does using another reader or using OCR solve the problem?  I think I had a file like that once, but I don't recall now if those methods solved the problem.

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:15 PM

Dan,

By coincidence, I was dealing with this topic today, actually! All you need to do is:

I had a long chat session with the Adobe help team some time ago.

It seems that the problem arises when a document created in some other editor is saved as PDF this problem can arise resulting in spaces not appearing to be standard ones under ISO (or ASCII 32).

With the help of the Adobe support team, I used adobe Acrobat Pro DC to reprocess the offending document by printing it as Adobe and saving the output document to the hard disk rather than actually printing it. The spaces were all present and no misspellings occurred.

The help team assured me that this problem arises from outside editors and not from within Adobe. Therefore, Adobe can do nothing about it.

Perhaps we could ask Microsoft and other manufacturers of editing programs to examine their processes for creating PDF files and see how this might arise.

All the best,

Cearbhall