Re: pdfs with all words crammed against the next word with no spaces between

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Dan,

Here is a message that I sent out in 2016 about this issue:

I had a long chat session with the Adobe help team yesterday.

It seems that the problem arises when a document created in some other editor is saved as PDF this problem can arise resulting in spaces not appearing to be standard ones under ISO (or ASCII 32).

With the help of the Adobe support team, I used adobe Acrobat Pro DC to reprocess the offending document by printing it as Adobe and saving the output document to the hard disk rather than actually printing it. The spaces were all present and no misspellings occurred.

The help team assured me that this problem arises from outside editors and not from within Adobe. Therefore, Adobe can do nothing about it.

This worked today. However, I cannot get it to do the job tonight! Strange!

I dont have Acrobat Pro DC on my machine. I will have to download a sample of this program and try again.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 9:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] pdfs with all words crammed against the next word with no spaces between

Thanks for the idea.  I just tried to do this using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and I can't seem to get it right.  All I get is a blank file.

Can you tell me what settings you used?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 5/20/2020 3:15 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Dan,

By coincidence, I was dealing with this topic today, actually! All you need to do is:

I had a long chat session with the Adobe help team some time ago.

It seems that the problem arises when a document created in some other editor is saved as PDF this problem can arise resulting in spaces not appearing to be standard ones under ISO (or ASCII 32).

With the help of the Adobe support team, I used “adobe Acrobat Pro DC” to reprocess the offending document by printing it “as Adobe” and saving the output document to the hard disk rather than actually printing it. The spaces were all present and no misspellings occurred.

The help team assured me that this problem arises from outside editors and not from within Adobe. Therefore, Adobe can do nothing about it.

Perhaps we could ask Microsoft and other manufacturers of editing programs to examine their processes for creating PDF files and see how this might arise.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:25 PM
To: Cearbhall O'Meadhra (Personal) <cearbhall.omeadhra@...>
Subject: Presentation from NAS for tomorrow

Dear Cearbhall,

Apologies for the late email.

Attached is the presentation NAS will be delivering at tomorrow's Board meeting. Please let me know if you have difficulty accessing the PDF.

See you tomorrow,

Regards

Graham

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] pdfs with all words crammed against the next word with no spaces between

I have a pdf I need to read.  I tried but as the subject says everything is crammed together or at least that is how NVDA reads it.

Does anyone know of a way to straighten this out?

Thanks.

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.